PSX Extreme & Xbox Nerds Forums  
Old 04-30-2014   #1
Spartan119

PS3 Network ID: ninjadudeman79
Default Do cheaper games make more money?

Article that spawned this discussion is here:

http://www.psxextreme.com/ps4-news/1369.html

The comments that prompted this thread are:

Here is the full article:

http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/1yoEYU...too-expensive/

So, we have statistical data that emphatically states discounted games drive revenue. Are games too expensive? The sales data says yes, and I tend to agree.

Your thoughts?

Last edited by Spartan119; 04-30-2014 at 10:48 PM.
Spartan119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014   #2
dillonthebunny
*Blinkity blink blink*

PS2 Online ID: Dillonthebunny/HareofDoom
PS3 Network ID: HareOfDoom/DillonTheBunny
Send a message via AIM to dillonthebunny Send a message via Yahoo to dillonthebunny

I agree. ..20 years ago a game was the finished article and what you paid for was quality or it was doomed to the bottom drawer of the reviews. These days we pay more for an unfinished game that might be broke to be fixed at a later date with extra content they couldn't be bothered to put in the game originally because they know they can make more money.

Online brought games for the console are the biggest rip off in the EU. The games are the exact same price on the psn/ live as they are on hard copy yet there are no where near the same labour intensive err employee interaction that might be used as an excuse for a store brought game on a disc.

Legend Edgemaster of the Unicorn. oh and nine thousand fake forum tokens, 3 real ones and 5 special tokens mysteriously protected by a blinding white aura.. known to some as the 'anti wife light'..

""Bombing for peace is like ****ing for virginity"

"NO OFFENCE" R.I.P @PS3
dillonthebunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014   #3
frostface

PS3 Network ID: frost-facechilla

If anyone says games aren't too expensive, they're either minted or they need their heads examined. Movies have massive budgets, cast, crew and hundreds of people working on them, getting them into a cinema for a couple of weeks and then they get sent to DVD or streaming services, TV etc... but they don't charge €60+ for the privilege. So what if games have massive budgets. The biggest records in sales of any entertainment product have been video games over movies if we take GTA:V or most of the recent CoD entries. So the audience is there but they're getting ripped off with incomplete games and mined for extra dough for DLC that should of been in the game. And then you have these "beta's" where the target audience gets to test the games out for dev's as a selling point for other games. Buy X and you can be our quality control for Z. No f'ing way. And if you're selling a game without manufacturing costs, reflect that in the price. No way should downloadable titles on PSN/XBL etc... cost more than retail copies.

frostface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014   #4
SHADOW

PS3 Network ID: SHADOWsoldier-

Games are worth whatever we're willing to pay for them. What's more money only has worth because enough people in society have decided it has worth. (Chickens! They have inherent value.) So if SquareEnix tells be that TombRaider costs 4 chickens the day it releases I have to think long and hard about if TR is more valuable to me than 4 chickens. The problem they have to be worried about is that if I am completely sure that TR will only cost 2 chickens at some point in a couple months and I don't care about having the game before that. Why would I pay 4 chickens? Think of all the eggs I'll get in the intervening time? The steam sales while superficially good for both gamers and developers (we have more games, they have more money) it has devalued games in my eyes. I haven't bought a game on release day in years because I know Amazon or steam will put in on sale in pretty short order. The long term effects of that devaluing will be interesting to see play out. The moral of the story? Tomb Raider is probably only worth two chickens.

SHADOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014   #5
Amish Love Machine

PS3 Network ID: FoamyPants
Xbox Live ID: benseac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillonthebunny View Post
Online brought games for the console are the biggest rip off in the EU. The games are the exact same price on the psn/ live as they are on hard copy yet there are no where near the same labour intensive err employee interaction that might be used as an excuse for a store brought game on a disc.
The same thing is true here in the US (and in Canada, too, I would imagine). It vexes me.

PSXEtreme Name: SirLoin of Beef

Amish Love Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014   #6
Spartan119

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHADOW View Post
Games are worth whatever we're willing to pay for them. What's more money only has worth because enough people in society have decided it has worth. (Chickens! They have inherent value.) So if SquareEnix tells be that TombRaider costs 4 chickens the day it releases I have to think long and hard about if TR is more valuable to me than 4 chickens. The problem they have to be worried about is that if I am completely sure that TR will only cost 2 chickens at some point in a couple months and I don't care about having the game before that. Why would I pay 4 chickens? Think of all the eggs I'll get in the intervening time? The steam sales while superficially good for both gamers and developers (we have more games, they have more money) it has devalued games in my eyes. I haven't bought a game on release day in years because I know Amazon or steam will put in on sale in pretty short order. The long term effects of that devaluing will be interesting to see play out. The moral of the story? Tomb Raider is probably only worth two chickens.
If what you're describing 'devalues' games, then games were overvalued to begin with, which is exactly the point. We have statistical proof that lower price points = larger revenue, which means that publishers are attaching too high an initial price point for their product, forcing people to wait until it is inevitably lowered before pulling the trigger.

But what if those games released at that lower price to begin with? Many, many more people would be buying on launch day, fewer people would be pirating them, and publishers could still create a sales tail with additional, smaller discounts when they want to reignite interest in a game if they wanted.

Games are too expensive.
Old 06-07-2014   #7
SHADOW

PS3 Network ID: SHADOWsoldier-

Not necessarily, I was more than happy to pay 60$ for a game before the sales culture really took hold as tightly as it had. And that was back when I was a poor college student with little-disposable income. Now when I have a very good income I wouldn't touch a 60$ game with a 10 foot pole.

SHADOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014   #8
Spartan119

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHADOW View Post
Not necessarily, I was more than happy to pay 60$ for a game before the sales culture really took hold as tightly as it had. And that was back when I was a poor college student with little-disposable income. Now when I have a very good income I wouldn't touch a 60$ game with a 10 foot pole.
I was the same way, too, but that's because we really didn't have the option. Now that we have things like Steam sales and PSN's instant game collection, and can get games for a fraction of the price, people are a lot more willing to gamble.