PSX Extreme & Xbox Nerds Forums  

Go Back   PSX Extreme & Xbox Nerds Forums > Gaming Forums > PlayStation 3

Old 07-23-2007   #1
Dmitry M. (Lazer)
Administrator

PS3 Network ID: DimaNYC
Send a message via ICQ to Dmitry M. (Lazer) Send a message via AIM to Dmitry M. (Lazer) Send a message via MSN to Dmitry M. (Lazer) Send a message via Yahoo to Dmitry M. (Lazer)
Default Playing AVI (DivX) Files on the PS3!

Well, last night while laying in my bed, ready to go to sleep but couldn't. I decided I wanted to watch a movie via my PS3 with a MediaServer. I now came into a problem, all or 90% of what I had was AVI (DivX) files on my pc. Sadly, the PS3 due to licensing does not, at the moment, support AVI (DivX).

So, I started thinking, the PS3 runs Linux therefore it somehow must be possible to make AVI files work with the PS3. I started thinking what if I would Transcode the AVI files via some sort of software to allow the PS3 to play the files on instantly while transcoding.

A little search from my favorite website (Google) and I was in. Finally I found a way to play AVI files on my PS3 via a Media Server. So last night I enjoyed watching 300 on my PS3 via the AVI file I had on my PC.

Now, I know all of you want to know how it is done and rather then you guys taking the time to search how to do it and search for all of the software, which make take up to an hour, I will post it here for all of you to enjoy.

What You Will Need
  1. Tversity - http://download.tversity.com/Setup_0_9_10_7.exe
  2. FFDshow (Version 1355) - http://www.afterdawn.com/software/vi...355__20070715_
  3. Haali Media Splitter (Used for HD/MKV Files) - http://haali.cs.msu.ru/mkv/MatroskaSplitter.exe

Instructions
  1. Install TVersity 0.9.10.7
  2. Install FFDshow Revision 1355 (Make sure to Uninstall any old versions before installing this)
  3. If you have Windows Firewall Enabled - Go to your Windows Firewall and in your exceptions field allow Mediaserver.exe (which can be found in the following directory: C: \Program Files\TVersity\Media Server\MediaServer.exe). Also if it wasn't already added, allow TVersity.
  4. Open TVersity (Start -> All Programs -> TVersity Media Server -> TVersity Media Server)
  5. Start TVersity (Start -> All Programs -> TVersity Media Server -> TVersity Tools -> Start TVersity Media Server)
  6. Now Add any folders or files (Hint: AVI files ) using the Green + (Plus) button on TVersity.
  7. Ok now on TVersity hit the Settings Tab followed by Transcoder Menu. Change the Screen Resolution (Recommended is 1280x720 or leave it alone if you're not sure) also Select the type of Connection Speed (Wired/Wireless). You may also want to play around with the Optimization and Compression settings for fastest and best output.
  8. Scroll all the way down and click Save followed by OK to save your settings.
  9. Finally turn on your PS3, do the Search for Servers if it hasn't done so already and now you should see TVersity Media Server as one of the servers pop up. Now from here just go into the Videos and now you can watch and enjoy AVI files on your PS3.

Well I hope all of you enjoy this, I know Val will.

Note: This is an MPEG1 Transcoding process so until Sony gives full supportability of DivX files on the PS3 you will have to deal with the quality/speed or use a converter which takes hours (Which i hate because you have to wait).

If you would like I can also post a little tutorial on how to improve quality and speed of video by tweaking certain files, for example by allowing MPEG2 Transcoding rather than MPEG1. I will post this if people really think the quality and speed are that bad. I personally find it ok.

------------------------------------------------------------
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler"
- Albert Einstein

Dmitry M. (Lazer) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007   #2
Gabriel013
ArchAngel

PS3 Network ID: gabriel013
Xbox Live ID: Gabriel013
Send a message via Yahoo to Gabriel013

Wow. Even if I don't try this myself, thanks for taking the time to post this sort of stuff. I am damn sure there are plenty of people here who will find this very useful.

3 forum tokens
Gabriel013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007   #3
Dmitriy

PS3 Network ID: Dmitriyus
Default Works w/ problems though :(

Ok, First I want to say thanks for the guide and figuring it all out. Your directions were great. Second though is kinda a question/statement.

When I Stream a Divx or any video really for that matter, the PS3 only sees the first 1-2 min of the movie. It will play the whole thing if I let it, but if I try to skip to a certain time frame it locks up. Also the max FstForward speed is 1.5x. Is this a buffering problem? Is there any way to fix this? This feature is a great replacement for the AppleTV if you could only skip chapters and Fastforward at a higher speed than 1.5x.
Dmitriy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007   #4
sweetmusicman

Okay you talked about PS3 running Linux-as far as i'm know(not 100 % sure), Linux needs to be installed first. It's not as if it comes out with this software. Am i right?
sweetmusicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007   #5
sweetmusicman

Okay you talked about PS3 running Linux-as far as i'm know(not 100 % sure), Linux needs to be installed first. It's not as if it comes out with this software. Am i right?
sweetmusicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007   #6
bamf

PS3 Network ID: bassgenerator
Xbox Live ID: bassgenerator
Default Headache

I've tried all these media servers before and they gave me nothing but a headache. Nero was recommended the most and worked first try but after that it wouldn't work again. I just give up in the end and went out and bought a 500gb media player which wil play all those avi (divX) files, vob. mpeg, etc. I can't see why the PS3 didn't have divX in the first place, licensing can't be that of a problem as I've seen the most cheapest of DVD players have divX?

For Linux I think you first download the image file from the Yellow dog site (the image may be found else where?) and you burn the image to CD. There is also something else that is needed that you copy to a memeorystick or usb drive or any form of memery storage you can put in your PS3. Before you start you need a keyboard and mouse according to the instruction on the website the last time I looked.
From the videos I've seen of yellow dog linux at places like youtube, it didn't look that great.

Last edited by bamf; 09-19-2007 at 05:58 AM.
bamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008   #7
deathwing33

Default Thanks so much.

Thanks for the guide. Everything was straight forward and easy to do and works well. However, you missed one very important step, when you add the folder, click on the advanced button and make sure to check "When needed" for the Transcode part.

@ Dmitriy
I've noticed a similar issue with the fast forwarding (once in a while) when playback first starts. However, once the movie has played for a minute or two, I can fast forward without issue.

Once again, thanks for this info, it made my day.
deathwing33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008   #8
psplayer

PS3 Network ID: chrizzizzippi
Send a message via AIM to psplayer

Doesn't the PS3 play DivX now?
psplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008   #9
cAtDaFeLiX
t.N.b

PS3 Network ID: catdafelix
Xbox Live ID: catdafelix

Hopefully lol, cause once I get my PS3. My "home" in Home will be 18+ years and older lol
Old 06-13-2009   #10
jrs.reign

PS2 Online ID: jrs.reign
PS3 Network ID: jrs.reign
Xbox Live ID: jrs.reign

For Linux I think you first download the image file from the Yellow dog site (the image may be found else where?) and you burn the image to CD. There is also something else that is needed that you copy to a memeorystick or usb drive or any form of memery storage you can put in your PS3. Before you start you need a keyboard and mouse according to the instruction on the website the last time I looked.
From the videos I've seen of yellow dog linux at places like youtube, it didn't look that great.

Last edited by jrs.reign; 06-15-2009 at 03:54 AM.
jrs.reign is offline   Reply With Quote