PSX Extreme & Xbox Nerds Forums  

Go Back   PSX Extreme & Xbox Nerds Forums > Gaming Forums > PlayStation 3

Old 12-08-2009   #11
BikerSaint

PS2 Online ID: BikerSaint
PS3 Network ID: BikerSaint
Xbox Live ID: BikerSaint

PS3 BD's are quite scratch resistant & that's a huge plus sign for me because I buy all mine used.

Here's some good cleaning tips that will also save you money over time.....

As for minor cleaning, I'm a CD/DVD/BD/& games collector so I've been cleaning disc games for years & I found the best 2 clothes for cleaning is either to use a micro-fiber cloth or a shami(wrong spelling) type cloth. I prefer the shami type because it will last almost indefinitely, including numerous washings.

As for the cleaning liquid, just use a light-spray squirt of plain old drugstore brand rubbing alcohol
"YES, I DID SAID RUBBING ALCOHOL"!!!!!!

A bottle of plain(unscented) rubbing alcohol is the same exact cleaning fluid that comes in those tiny little squirt bottles that's included with CD/DVD/VHS tape head & lens cleaning tape/discs kits.

Don't believe me? Then just read the side abel on those little 1oz bottles, if they're even willing to list it.

What they try to tell you is that they've got a secret cleaning solution, but the label will actually say the words "Isopropyl Alcohol" right on the side of the bottle.
And there's exactly NO DIFFRENCE between theirs & mine, except for the fact that you'll pay $3+ for a tiny 1.5 ounce spray bottle, and I only paid 89 cents for a full 16 ounce bottle.
Now if you're still a bit hesitant on using rubbing alcohol, you can also dilute it down to a much weaker strength, to a 30% alcohol-70% water mixture too.
As for myself, I like my alcohol 100 proof, full strength, & straight from the bottle.

BTW, just save yourself a couple of those old 1.5 ounce spray bottles so you'll be able to refill them anytime you need too.

Last edited by BikerSaint; 12-10-2009 at 01:15 AM.
BikerSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009   #12
dso8515

PS3 Network ID: dso8515
Send a message via AIM to dso8515 Send a message via MSN to dso8515 Send a message via Yahoo to dso8515

I know this is an old thread but I have to wonder why no one questioned the guy who said Blu Ray discs are some of the weakest, because that is just 100% not true. As fas as I know I don't have a scratch on any of my Blu Ray discs, games or movies, and some of them I've had for a couple years. And I've done the whole drop them on the floor and they land with the data side down and you try and figure out how best to pick it up but you always manage to drag it across the floor a little bit and still no scratches ever.
Old 12-09-2009   #13
BikerSaint

PS2 Online ID: BikerSaint
PS3 Network ID: BikerSaint
Xbox Live ID: BikerSaint

Yeah dso8515,
Kind of strange statement of his, because that's completely opposite of the facts.
I'm guessing he plays all his Bluray's while using the official rules of Frisbee, inside a knife sharpening plant. :-)
BikerSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009   #14
dso8515

PS3 Network ID: dso8515
Send a message via AIM to dso8515 Send a message via MSN to dso8515 Send a message via Yahoo to dso8515

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerSaint View Post
Yeah dso8515,
Kind of strange statement of his, because that's completely opposite of the facts.
I'm guessing he plays all his Bluray's while using the official rules of Frisbee, inside a knife sharpening plant. :-)
That's probably the only way you could end up scratching them unless you did it intentionally and what purpose would that serve? I mean, even if you never put the discs back in the case when you were done with them I still don't see how you could scratch them up.
Old 12-09-2009   #15
mackid1993

This was dug up from nowhere. Anyway, because the data is closer to the surface of the Bluray disc than compared to a DVD an anti scratch coating was added. The discs are essentially scratch proof. Just take care of them. If your really must clean them, I recommend a slightly damp microfiber cloth. Make sure the disc is fully dry before putting it into the system. Though if you take care of them, the discs won't need cleaning in the first place. Also, don't rub cream cheese on them. Contrary to popular belief, It doesn't make games load faster.
Old 12-10-2009   #16
whiskeytango74

PS3 Network ID: whiskeytango74

my old roommate would always just leave his games laying out on the coffee table and all kinds of crap would get on them. spilled beer, people would rest their feet on the table and just set their shoes right on the desk, people would even use the disk as coasters for the cans. data side up or down he never once had a problem with his games getting scratched up. it made me sick to see how he treated those games
whiskeytango74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009   #17
Spartan119

PS3 Network ID: ninjadudeman79

Quote:
Originally Posted by dso8515 View Post
I know this is an old thread but I have to wonder why no one questioned the guy who said Blu Ray discs are some of the weakest, because that is just 100% not true.
lol to be honest if I hadn't read this post I might not have realized it was a bump of an older thread, and was going to respond that I've seen people take brillo pads to Blu Rays and still not scratch them.

If you go here, Joystiq has a little video where they find out just what you have to do to make a Blu Ray unreadable in your PS3. It survived the brillo pad, a ballpoint pen and a pizza cutter. They had to go to town with a butcher's knife before they could make it unreadable:

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/01/19/we...-blu-ray-disc/

So yeah I'd say Blu Ray is pretty durable.
Spartan119 is offline   Reply With Quote